Activities and School Education Program Are you looking to enhance your groups’ experience at Rottnest Island or just stuck for ideas for what to do with your group?
Rottnest Island's natural environment provides an ideal location for many of our education activities; while others are conducted in our Discovery Centre which contains education exhibits, art facilities and a laboratory containing microscopes and other investigative equipment.
The following are a list of activity service providers:
To make booking your activities easier, all activities from the School Education Program, Tours and Transport Services and Rottnest Voluntary Guides Association Tours can all be booked through Rottnest Island Education.
For activity enquiries please contact Rottnest Island Education on (08) 9372 9777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To make a booking please fill in a Booking Request Form and fax it back to us on (08) 9432 9301 or email it to email@example.com.
School Education Program
The Schools Education Program consists of over 20 activities that have been developed in accordance with the Curriculum Framework and is aimed at students of all levels and abilities. Current activities reflect both the current WA Curriculum and the National Curriculum. Please see Your Living Classroom – A Teacher’s Guide to Planning an Excursion for a description of each activity and their link to each of the curriculum outcomes.
| Science |
- Sea Monkeys
- Intertidal Quadrats
- Intertidal Discovery
- Beach Combing
- Freshwater Swamps
- Junior Ranger
- Beach Combing
- Sustainable Living
- Quokka Safari
- Birds of Rottnest
- Educational cycle tours
- Your Island to Care For
|History (Humanities and Social Science) |
- Wadjemup Dreaming
- Wadjemup Lighthouse Tour
- Adventure Challenge Foot Race
- Museum Visit
- Adventure Challenge Cycle
- Compass Challenge
- Beach Clean Up
- Sustainable Living, Your Island to Care For, Adventure Challenge Cycle, Adventure Challenge Foot Race, Wadjemup Dreaming, Beach Clean Up, Junior Ranger, Freshwater Swamps, Sea Monkeys
- Wadjemup Dreaming, Beach Combing, Junior Ranger, Quokka Safari
Snorkel Education Program
The Rottnest Island Authority (RIA) Education team have developed a series of snorkelling activities where students follow qualified leaders to discover the marine environment.
Snorkelling activities on Rottnest Island are all shore based activities with links to the curriculum including, but not exclusive to, Health and Physical Education, Maths and Science, with each lesson running for 2 hours in duration with a maximum of 20 students per lesson.
The activities are structured to address different skill and comfort levels of students being; beginner (snorkel skills), intermediate (snorkel exploration) and advanced (snorkel investigation) where students will be briefed on the location’s attributes, snorkelling techniques, water safety and experience Rottnest Island’s pristine waters.
Teachers will be requested to complete a skills assessment of their students prior to their visit to the Island. This is so we can best match the students with their snorkel activity.
All Education Officers leading the snorkelling activities have qualifications in accordance with the Western Australian Adventure Activity Standards Snorkelling & Wildlife Swims.
For more information on the snorkel education program, please see the essential information for teachers or contact the Education team on (08) 9372 9777.
Tours & Transport Services
Rottnest Island’s Tours and Transport Services offer a number of tours and services to school groups. A great option for the cooler months or to escape the heat of summer! Services available include;
- Discovery Bus Tour – Take 90 minutes to discover the unique and stunning natural splendour of Rottnest, its heritage and cultural history as well as an update on current events.
- Bus Transfer – Need to move many students from one place to another? Bus transfers can be booked for easy transport of the group around the Island. Suitable for groups of up to 42 people seated, or 70 people with some standing.
- Lighthouse Transfer – Need transportation to Wadjemup Lighthouse? We can book it for you with a Wadjemup Lighthouse Return Bus Transfer. 42 people seated, or 70 people with some standing.
- Oliver Hill Transfer – Need transportation to Oliver Hill? We can book it for you with a Oliver Hill Return Bus Transfer. 42 people seated, or 70 people with some standing.
- Bay Seeker Bus – With 63 beaches in 22 pristine bays around the island, an exploration in your time is a great option. The Bay Seeker Bus offers you a daily pass to on-hop & on hop-off at any one of the 18 stops around the Island so you can explore Rottnest in your own time. Please note that this service operates for general visitors, so seating availability is not guaranteed and preference will be given to general visitors. If you would like your own dedicated bus for Island transport, consider a Bus Transfer.
Rottnest Voluntary Guides Association
The Rottnest Voluntary Guides Association (RVGA) offer tours encouraging exploration of the Island. These tours include:
- Retrace the footsteps of our early inhabitants through Pioneers and Prisoners
- Explore the old Pilot Crew accommodation, the Boathouse and a replica pilot boat on the Reefs, Wrecks & Daring Sailors Tour
- Discover the WWII history on the Oliver Hill Guns Tour
- See the sights from the highest point of the Island with the Wadjemup Lighthouse Tour
- Learn about planets, stars and constellations on a Stargazing Tour
- Step back in time and learn about the secrets of some of the Island’s early characters in the Twilight Tales Tour
For a description of each tour please consult the Your Living Classroom – A Teacher’s Guide to Planning an Excursion.
A full Education Services Price List of activities and accommodation is also listed for your reference.
Other Service Providers
To book these activities and services you will need to contact the service provider directly through the website contact links provided.
Please proceed to Step 3 - Catering