Professional Learning Courses
The Rottnest Island Authority (RIA) Community Engagement unit offers professional learning courses for any group leader, teacher, camp coordinator, or individual seeking to know more about Rottnest Island.
Participants will have the opportunity to meet staff and obtain an overview of the environmental or historical attributes of the Island whilst taking part in a range of activities and presentations relating to the topic area.
Itineraries have been designed so that participants can travel to and from the Island in the day, without the additional cost of an overnight stay. Please see respective course registration sheets for itinerary details.
Courses currently available include:
Next Course: 30th August 2013
This course provides participants with an overview of Rottnest Island’s layered history and cultural connections that have stretched back thousands of years. Participants will hear dreamtime stories of the traditional owners, the Whadjuk people, and discover the more recent history of maritime exploration, European discovery and see evidence of the defence Rottnest Island provided to Western Australia’s mainland assets. View the Layered History of Wadjemup Course itinerary
Next Course: 20th September 2013
This course provides participants with an insight to how Rottnest Island really operates behind the scenes to deliver essential services to visitors, businesses and residents including the provision of water and energy, treatment of waste water and waste management. The day will include visits to sites that demonstrate the Authority’s programs and initiatives that address environmental management including rehabilitation projects, marine sanctuary zones and a sustainable villa that is on trial. View the Environmental Awareness Course itinerary
Dates are scheduled throughout the year for each of the courses above, however if you have a group size of 15 people or more, we can arrange a course to be conducted upon special request. We would need at least 2 months for this to occur and prices are as detailed below.
The cost of each course is $195.00 per participant and includes:
Throughout the course, participants will be encouraged to: Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- return ferry tickets from Victoria Quay, Fremantle
- an overview/ induction to Rottnest Island
- activities for the day
- bike hire (if required – as per itinerary)
- morning tea and lunch
- suggestions for pre and post excursion lessons
- subject-related material to be used as in-class resources (pre or post excursion)
- access to Rottnest Island Education staff
- certificate of completion for the Professional Leaning Course
- following the completion of each course, workshop discussion notes will be circulated to participants
Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
- Select and use resources
- Understand and respect Aboriginal people to promote reconciliation between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians
- Evaluate and improve teaching programs
- Support student participation
Engage in professional learning
- Engage in professional learning and improve practice
- Apply professional learning and improve student learning
- Engage with professional teaching networks and broader communities
Both full day (7.5 hour) courses are conducted on Rottnest Island. Participants will board the 7:30am Rottnest Express ferry from B-Shed in Fremantle. Depending on the season, the 7:15am Fast Ferry from Hillarys may also be available. Both return services depart Rottnest at 4.30pm. How to register
To register for a course, please complete a Professional Learning Course registration form
and return to our office.
After submitting a registration form, your name will go on the participant list for the course you are electing. When adequate numbers are reached to run the course, we will send you an invoice along with the final details for the day.
Unfortunately courses may be cancelled if sufficient registrations are not received. For further information please email email@example.com
or call 9372 9712.