About Rottnest Island Authority
Rottnest Island is a Class A Reserve governed by the Rottnest Island Authority Act, 1987 (the Act) which establishes the Rottnest Island Authority as a statutory body to control and manage the Island, reporting to the Minister for Tourism.
The Act gives the Authority the power to control and manage the Island for the following purposes:
- to provide and operate recreational and holiday facilities on the Island;
- to protect the flora and fauna of the Island; and
- to maintain and protect the natural environment and the man-made resources of the Island and, to the extent that the Authority’s resources allow, repair its natural environment.
The daily operations of the Rottnest Island Authority are overseen by the Chief Executive Officer, supported by a staff of approximately 117 people. The CEO of the Rottnest Island Authority is Mr Paolo Amaranti. The RIA's operations are based both on Rottnest Island and in the Administration Office at Level 1, E Shed, Victoria Quay Fremantle WA 6160.
Board of management
The Board of the Rottnest Island Authority consists of a Chair, appointed by the Governor on the nomination of the Minister for Tourism, and five other members appointed in the same manner. Members are appointed so that not less than one member is:
- A person experienced in conserving the environment
- A person experienced in preserving buildings of historic value
- A person with sound commercial experience, and
- A person who is a regular user of the Island for recreational purposes
- Members are appointed for a term not exceeding three years, but from time to time, may be re-appointed. The Minister also appoints a member to be Deputy Chairman.
View the Rottnest Island Authority Board Members
The Hon. Dr Kim Hames MLA DEPUTY PREMIER, MINISTER FOR TOURISM is responsible for administering the Rottnest Island Authority Act 1987, and reporting the Rottnest Island Authority's actions to Parliament annually.
Visit the website of the Hon. Dr Kim Hames, MLA.
Rottnest Island Authority Act
Download a copy of the Rottnest Island Authority Act from the State Law Publishers.