Boat Mooring and Jetty Pen Rentals
The Rottnest Island Authority has a variety of marine hire facilities to accommodate different types and sizes of vessels. These are; swing moorings (7m – 40m), jetty pens 7.5m -16m) and beach pen 8m.
These facilities are rented on a 24hrs basis 10.00am to 10.00am. The RIA prefers that you book your marine hire facilities using our online booking system. By doing this it is not necessary for you to attend at Visitors Centre on the island to sign agreements and collect stickers. Booking online allows you to complete the transaction online and the Rangers receive your booking advice. Please take your booking confirmation advice just in case. Visitors booking beach and jetty pens need to supply their own mooring lines.
Should you be unable to access the internet or are not comfortable with booking online, you can contact Central Reservations (08-9432 9111) Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 5.00pm or the Rottnest Island Visitors Centre (08-9372 9730) 7 days a week between 8.30am and 4.30pm.
Booking can be made up to three calendar months + 6 nights in advance.
Please be aware that during school holidays, Christmas and special events these facilities are in heavy demand. To expedite the booking process please have available; vessel registration details, beam, draft and insurance details.
Group events - advanced bookings
Bookings for marine rental facilities can be made in advance of three months for those groups who have registered an event with the Rottnest Island Authority. Please contact the Events Coordinator to register your event on 9432 9300.
For more information on mooring maps click here:
Rental Moorings Map
Beach Anchoring System in Thomson Bay
Moorings Maps of Boating Bays
| || Low ||Shoulder ||High |
|Beach Pens ||7.5m |
|$15.50 ||$32.00 ||$37.00 |
|Small Jetty Pens |
|7.5m ||$15.50 ||$32.00 ||$37.00 |
|Large Jetty Pens |
|16m ||$21.50 ||$42.00 ||$52.50 |
|Hotel Jetty Pens |
|8m ||$21.50 ||$42.00 ||$52.50 |
|Swing Mooring |
|<15m ||$21.50 ||$42.00 ||$52.50 |
|Swing Mooring |
|15m to 20m ||$42.00 ||$63.50 ||$84.50 |
|Swing Mooring |
|20m to 40m ||$63.50 ||$84.50 ||$106.00 |
See seasonal dates here.
See Terms and Conditions for Marine Hire Facilities.
Swing mooring rentals
Moorings to suit vessels of various sizes are available in Thomson, Geordie and Longreach Bays per day from 10am - 10am. Please note that moorings are not to be used until rental agreement forms are completed and the mooring rental fee has been paid. Use of moorings or pens without permission can incur an on-the-spot fine. During peak periods (1 December to 31 March, School & Public Holidays) the maximum duration of marine rental facility bookings is limited.
- Thomson Bay 33 swing moorings 8m-40m
- Geordie Bay 4 swing moorings 8m–14m
- Longreach Bay 4 swing moorings 12m-14m
Jetty pen rentals
Pens are available on three jetties in Thomson Bay,
- Stark Jetty (located north of the main ferry jetty) has five pens suitable for cabin cruiser type vessels of approximately 7 metres with a maximum draft of 0.5 metres.
- Fuel Jetty (south of the ferry jetty) has 11 pens suitable for craft to approximately 7.5 metres, and 15 pens for larger craft from ten to 15.5 metres. Several have sufficient draft to accommodate yachts.
- Hotel Jetty has 6 pens of up to 8.0 metres configured 3 per side. The “T” section of the jetty is a 20 minute loading area only. 8.0 metre vessels are permitted to tie up to the other mooring points along either side of the jetty closer to the beach for a maximum 2 hour stay between 6am and midnight.
- Bathurst Beach Pens Mediterranean-style system of beach pens are available on the beachfront in the north (Bathurst) area of Thomson Bay, for vessels up to 7.5 metres with a shallow draft. Approximately 30 beach pens are available.