Stay Rottnest Campground
Reconnect with nature as you sleep under the stars and wake up to the gentle sound of the waves.
Located close to the main settlement, just a short stroll from one of the island's most famous beaches, Stay Rottnest Campground invites you back to nature to immerse yourself in the natural beauty of Rottnest Island.
43 non-powered sand covered campsites are available, accommodating up to a maximum of six people and two tents each, along with wheelchair-accessible ablution blocks. You’ll have access to a communal camp kitchen with cooking facilities including four barbecue plates and troughs, with a further two freestanding barbecues also available.
- Check-in is required at the Visitor Centre from 10 am where the registered guest will be required to show photo ID and provide a physical credit card prior to setting up their tent.
- As a condition of booking accommodation, the Primary Guest and/or Keyholder must be 18 years of age or older and must stay overnight in the accommodation through the term of the booking.
- Any breach of the booking conditions will result in cancellation of the accommodation license without refund.
- Unaccompanied minors may be issued with caution notes or infringements for non-compliance with the Rottnest Island Regulations 1988 or their accommodation booking conditions. This will result in the cancellation of their accommodation booking, and they will be made to return to the mainland on the next available ferry.
- For the enjoyment of all visitors, anti-social behaviour is not tolerated, and appropriate actions will be taken to address any incidents.
- No alcohol will be delivered to the campground
- Open flames, personal camp BBQs and outdoor stoves are not permitted
- Visitors found camping outside the campground may receive an infringement from the rangers
- A maximum of two sites can be booked in one transaction
- A registration sticker will be provided on check-in that you must attach to your tent
- All tents and ropes must be located within the area of the site booked
- Please be considerate of other campers and respect the quiet time of 9 pm to 7 am.
- Please dismount from bikes before entering the campground
- Please do not move picnic tables around the campground and do not attach ropes, hammocks or washing lines to trees or building structures.
- Balloons are not permitted in Stay Rottnest accommodation or anywhere on Rottnest Island due to the risk of harm they can cause to the unique flora and fauna within the Class A Reserve, including the marine sanctuaries surrounding the island.
- To ensure the safety of visitors, and to preserve the buildings and public amenity of the island, the use of chalk is discouraged, including on roads, pathways and buildings.
- For Stay Rottnest Campground, luggage must be out for collection by 9 am for ferries departing at 10 am or later. For ferries departing before 10 am, luggage must be out for collection by 7 am and must be pre-booked by notifying the Visitor Centre 24 hours before departure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Stay Rottnest accommodation is available to book online via stayrottnest.com or via phone on (+61) 1800 111 111 (Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm, excluding public holidays). Bookings can be made up to nine months in advance of your stay.
Booking online is the quickest and easiest way to secure Stay Rottnest accommodation and receive instant confirmation.
Special requests and notes are also able to be placed in the booking.
Availability for bookings opens on the first working Wednesday of each calendar month, for accommodation nine months in advance.
While you can book by calling Stay Rottnest on (+61) 1800 111 111, online is the simplest and most successful way to book accommodation. As demand for bookings is high, a virtual queuing system is used to ensure a smooth experience for everyone on busy Open Days.
Booking for Accessibility
If you need wheelchair accessible accommodation, please send your request after 8:30 am to [email protected] and don’t forget to attach a copy of your ACROD Card (front and back). These requests are processed in the order they’re received from 8:30 am onwards on Open Day, so hold your email until then. Limit of one booking per ACROD Card.
For more information, visit stayrottnest.com
The current Open Day schedule is:
For Stay Dates
3 May 2023
7 June 2023
5 July 2023
2 August 2023
6 September 2023
4 October 2023
1 November 2023
6 December 2023
3 January 2024
7 February 2024
6 March 2024
3 April 2024
A maximum of two sites can be booked in one transaction.
Each site accommodates a maximum of six people in up to two tents or four single swags (two single swags equal one tent) and each site must have one registered guest over the age of 18.
The prices of Stay Rottnest accommodation vary based on the type of accommodation chosen, the time of year and availability. To check prices for available accommodation, select your preferred dates, location and accommodation type online here.
Yes, however cancellations and modifications may incur a cancellation fee.
Further details on how to cancel or alter your booking, and applicable fees, can be found in the Booking Terms & Conditions here (PDF).
Bookings made prior to 4 January 2023 will continue to be transferable, as per the conditions that applied at the time of booking. All new bookings from 4 January 2023, the original guest will remain as the owner of the booking; however, they may nominate another person as authorised to check in to the accommodation on their behalf. As the original guest remains the owner of the booking, they will be liable for any costs related to accommodation for the duration of the booking.
View the full Booking Terms & Conditions here (PDF).
Check-in is from 2 pm. You can leave your mobile number at the Visitor Centre, who will text you if your accommodation is ready early.
Check-out for the Stay Rottnest Campground is 10 am.
For Stay Rottnest Campground, luggage must be out for collection by 9 am for ferries departing at 10 am or later.
For ferries departing before 10 am, luggage must be out for collection by 7 am and must be pre-booked by notifying the Visitor Centre 24 hours before departure.
No, open flames are not permitted within the campground.
If ferries are cancelled for the day of your departure, guests of Stay Rottnest accommodation will be contacted by reservations and given the option to:
- Leave the day prior and receive a refund for your unused night of accommodation, or
- If your accommodation is available for an extra day, you will be invited to stay for 50% of the rack rate.
If you do not wish to leave early, and your accommodation is not available for an extra night, nor is any alternate Stay Rottnest accommodation available, you will need to contact the other accommodation providers on the island to enquire if they have availabilities.